Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread

I officially started my diet this week, so have also decided to make my own bread. I got this awesome recipe from a woman in my mom's ward. It calls for brown sugar and a TBSP of salt...sounds scary, right? It's absolutely fabulous! (I guess for 3 loaves of bread, one TBSP of salt really isn't that much) I've had three slices tonight already! So much for the diet! Thanks for the recipe, Rebecca! ***If you're wondering where to get Dough Enhancer & Dough Pep but can't find it at the grocery store, try a specialty foods store, or even a kitchen specialty store. It makes all the difference, and lasts a long time! I get mine at Kitchen Kneads, Inc., or their phone number is: 801-399-3221.
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
9 c. whole-wheat flour (I use part white, part whole wheat flour)
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. dough enhancer
1 Tbsp. dough pep
4 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. salt
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. brown sugar

Mix 4 cups flour, water (with the yeast dissolved in it), dough enhancer, & dough pep in mixer for 1 minute. Cover mixer and let sponge for 20 minutes. Add salt, brown sugar, and oil and mix well. Add about 5 more cups flour one cup at a time. Mix until dough pulls away from the sides. This takes about 5 mintues. Divide dough into 3 even portions. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Oh! I am SO excited about this recipe, I have seriously been looking for a really good wheat bread recipe! I'll try it for sure!! Thanks Miss Amanda!

J.R., Amber, & Co. said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe we are such good friends when we are so incredibly different! Props to you and your fabulous home made bread which J.R. would probably die for! But yesterday my version of homemade bread was the breadsticks that came with the pizza we had delivered! Maybe one of these days I will be a better homemaker than I currently am. Thanks for the example.

Gina Taylor said...

Sweet! Thank you for posting this. I can't wait to give it a try.

Kim and Seth said...

woah, i didn't think it had been so long since i had looked on peoples blogs, but i suppose it has, i can't believe another month is almost over. It is fun to catch up, this recipe looks really good, i have been on a bread making kick lately, so i will have to give this a try. By the way, i emailed you a while ago, i am wondering if i had your email wrong, i never heard back.

Nancy said...

hi again!