Thursday, November 13, 2008

Turn off the radio

image courtesy of Flickr

Sometimes, I need quiet.


Silence.


No noise.


I go walking with a friend every morning before work. It's just she and I, with the cold, quiet air. I know that we're chatting it up the entire time, but there is something so peaceful about the quiet, early morning (and I'm not a morning person). I especially enjoy the quiet as I get ready for the day, and Derik & Nathan are still sleeping. I have plenty of uninterrupted time to just think. Our church leaders advise us to ponder, reflect, and meditate. I use these early mornings as my time to do this.


I have also found another way to quiet my life down: turn off the radio.


This wasn't an easy task for me - I love music so much, but I decided that I was going to see how, and if it affected me for the better.


At first, the silence was deafening.


But now, I struggle with having it on. (Although it is helpful and wonderful to have when you're driving long distances, or in my case, when you need to vent by singing a song at the top of your lungs while driving by yourself...)


I've had so much to think about these past few weeks. (It has been fairly emotional too.) I think I've needed some guidance and inspiration from Heavenly Father, and although my life is busy, I hope that I haven't missed anything He might have been trying to say to me. This is such a random post, and I don't mean to sound preachy, but if you feel up for an adventure, give it a try for a couple of days.


Just turn it off.


It might make you mad, or maybe you'll decide that it's the noise that makes you mad.


Good luck! (and sorry for my random, random, random thoughts.)
Update: In honor of this post, I have deleted my music off of this blog! :)

4 comments:

Holly said...

I LOVE randomness. :) Great post. We do get so busy and lead such hectic lives, sometimes I don't even notice the noise! Great advice Amanda.

Amber said...

I had to do that too. It seemed like life is just too hectic! When we listen to music in the car it is primary music or hymns. Nerdy I know, but it is enough to balance things out for us and bring a little peace. Amazing what happens when you cut out the outside noise... I much prefer to hear what my kids want to talk about. They are good therapy ;)

Rolyndia said...

I too do the walking early in the morning. It does make such a difference in my day to have the quiet, peacefulness of walking and pondering. Thanks for the reminder.

Amber said...

Amanda,
I found your blog through our friends the Flinders. We also have adopted two angels. I would love to chat with you sometime. My email is amberhallphoto@yahoo.com
Hope to talk with you soon,
Amber Hall