Thursday, February 19, 2009

Certified Letter

I fear I've led you all astray. I'm getting comments and emails asking if we're pregnant, or if there's a new baby in the picture (as well as other things). Unfortunately, we are not pregnant, nor do we currently have a potential adoption/placement (at least that we know of). So sorry to make you all wonder. But for me, this news is equally as welcome.

For those of you that don't know, I too, am adopted and was placed with my parents when I was 10 days old. I have always been extremely comfortable with my adoption. I know that I have been blessed far beyond my capacity to understand. I had always been okay with not needing to know my birthparents. I never asked my parents for details about my adoption. Ever. But a little over four years ago that all changed. Derik and I were working on our paperwork for adoption. This opened a whole new adoption realm for me. I love, love, love adoption - on all sides. I know that adoption is a plan of our Heavenly Father, and He has made it possible for adoptees, adoptive parents, and birthparents each to be blessed for and benefit from.

I suddenly had a new curiosity about my birthparents. What was my story? Where did I get my blue eyes? My natural curl? My quirky personality traits? As far as I knew (and still know, at this point) I am the only person in the world that I look like. My adoption was a closed adoption. My parents did not have any pictures to show me, or stories to share, so unlike Nathan, I don't have any reference of that sort. So I decided to add my name to the state registry. I talked it over first with my parents, and even wrote my mom a letter. I wasn't going to do this without their blessing and support. They needed to know that I was never, ever trying to replace them. It would never be worth it to me if this would just hurt them. They are my parents, and that will never, ever change. I know this is where Heavenly Father wanted me to be. My parents gave their full support - again, I am so blessed.

So blessed.

So, I registered. You basically tell what information that you know (in my case, birth date, place, and adoption agency). If matched, you also indicate how you would like to be contacted or notified if there is a match made. (For the state of Idaho, it could only be birth-siblings, birthparents, or adoptees.) I didn't want somebody randomly showing up at my door, so I opted to be notified by letter.

Which brings me to my news:

Two weeks ago, I received a certified letter. Apparently, upon recent filings, there has been a potential birthparent match. By state law, there is a 30-day waiting period from the signing of this certified letter to allow all parties to "opt-out". I am so excited, and am hoping that whichever birthparent has decided to register doesn't back-out now.

More than anything, I want to thank my birthparents. I have a small amount of information that I was able to get from the adoption agency that officiated my adoption (I got this information about 3 months after I had registered with the state). I won't post details about my birthparents or story here right now, but I hope to be able to later. I will tell you that both birthparents took an active role in my adoption. Even both sets of birth-grandparents were there. They all felt that adoption was the right decision in my case. Again, so blessed. I have been doubly blessed, because not only do I have the most incredible parents that I could have ever asked for,but because I have many other people that loved me enough to want that for me. I owe them a huge thank-you.

So now we'll see what happens. I have told my mom and dad, and they are really excited for me. My in-laws are all excited for me. I feel like I'm in a good place in my life for this to come about. I'm a different person than I was even when I registered in the first place. I have learned and grown in adoption even more, and I am excited for this new adventure. I figure I have a few weeks to wait and watch for another letter. This probably doesn't seem like big news to most of you - sorry to have built up all the suspense. I will keep you posted as to anymore news. Thanks for all of your support!

10 comments:

Candise said...

Amanda, very VERY exciting! What an amazing experience for you to have. I am just imagining the depth it will add to your already strong passion for adoption. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story! This, in my opinion, is more exciting than any of my guesses!. Amazing! Congrats!

Holly said...

Amanda this is HUGE and very exciting!!!! :) Keep us posted! :)

Holly said...

Amanda this is HUGE and very exciting!!!! :) Keep us posted! :)

Holly said...

Amanda this is HUGE and very exciting!!!! :) Keep us posted! :)

Deanna said...

Oh, wow! That IS exciting!!! What an incerdible experience! I hope that all goes well! I agree with Holly, three times, even...keep us posted! ♥

Jennifer said...

How exciting. It is obvious Holly is excited, she posted THREE TIMES! I know how much you wondered about your own adoption story as you went through the classes so this is very exciting. Keep us posted!

Amber said...

Amanda, that is really neat! I can't wait to hear more! I'm glad you are so happy and excited!

Karen said...

I'm excited for you. I have always wanted to do this but have scared to do anything. So good luck to you. I also was adopted and thought about this. So I hope that things turn out for you. It is a awesome thing for you to check this out.

Chelsea said...

How exciting! I hope everything goes really well - keep us posted.

leslie m. said...

Amanda this is so neat. I hope turns out great for you and I am glad your family is behind you. I will be anxious to hear how it turns out!