Monday, April 6, 2009

Don's Family

The other day Nathan was being a little too quiet. I found him in the bathroom looking like this:
He had taken the liquid hand soap, and applied it to his hair. I thought that the little "horns" he had created (and yes, he did that) were very appropriate!

And, for those of you just now joining us, we've had some recent excitement at our house. I have been blessed to meet my birthmother Lori, and her sweet family in the past few weeks. This past weekend, Derik and I drove to Montana to meet the rest of my birthfamily. This picture is of myself with Lori's parents, Earl & Marjorie. We were able to have breakfast with them and visit for awhile. They even took us around town to show us where Lori grew up and played as a child. They were so kind; it was wonderful to meet them!


Next, we went to meet Don's family. Again, for those of you that may not know, Don is my birthfather. He died tragically in a forest fire in 1994. This is his family (that were able to be there this weekend). Nadine (Don's mother), myself, Susan (Don's sister), and Bob (Don's father).

Susan, myself, Lesliann (Don's daughter, and my half-sister), and Jessica (Don's niece/Susan's daughter).
It was such a perfect weekend. I was able to learn more about Don, and visit this memorial that is up in the mountains just past Bob & Nadine's home. I am so grateful the Mackey's took the time to take us here!

And, I'm sure some of you are dying to know what Don looked like. He was very handsome. This is a picture of Don in his smokejumping gear. (I'm not sure exactly what year it was taken)

I had the opportunity to spend some time in Don's bedroom. His parents have pictures, plaques, and awards all over that have been given in Don's name. There are even letters from Congress and Senate...ribbons for Valor...I was in awe. It was a very sacred time for me. I could have spent hours in there. There was so much to read and take in, and I didn't want to leave that room. I want to share more, but because of the sacredness of these experiences, I hope that the information that I have shared will be enough for now. I plan to write all of these feelings and experiences down, and perhaps at that point, I might share more with you then. Thank you so much for your love and support.
And a very special thank you to Derik, my personal hero, lover, and best friend. I love you so much. Your support has been incredible. I love that you just 'get' me. You are so aware of my needs and help make everything right. I love you more than words could ever say. Thank you...xoxoxo.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

I cry tears of joy each post I read...even of your little Nathan putting soap in his hair!!

Your family is SUCH an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience. Someday I hope I can do the same for my little girl...show her where I grew up, let her family meet my parents and siblings, and maybe she'll even want to meet her birth father and his family...who knows. I just hope that when that time comes that it's just as special for us!

Again, thank you!

Amber said...

Nathan is so cute, horns and all! Thank you so much for sharing your experiances meeting your birthfamily. I LOVE to hear these amazing adventures in your life. What a cool lineage you have!

Holly said...

Okay, the devil horns are priceless! haha. Sounds like you have been having an incredible year Miss Amanda! I'm so happy for you! I have loved reading about your great adventure! Thanks for sharing some of it with us!! :)

Chelsea said...

I know all too well the trouble that awaits when it is too quiet at our house! I'm so glad that you are having such positive experiences with your birth family! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

This is a special story that I hope you have written down for your children. What an experience. A lot of adopted children would love to have the experience that you have had. How special!!!!

leslie m. said...

Your blog always makes me cry lately. Thanks for sharing with us. Your birth parents sound absolutely wonderful. I am so happy for you.

leslie m. said...

Your blog always makes me cry lately. Thanks for sharing with us. Your birth parents sound absolutely wonderful. I am so happy for you.