Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Derik!

Today is my sweetie's 31st birthday! I made him his favorite birthday cake yesterday (to share with our friends at Sunday Dinner), and I'm so impressed with myself. I made the traditional 2, 9-inch cakes, and piled one on top of the other. I had only done this once before, and it was an absolute disaster, and toppled over almost immediately. But this time, I had good help! My good friend, Alynda gave me the perfect butter-cream icing recipe, and some wonderful pointers on how to keep your raspberry filling from "bleeding"! It was so exciting, I had to snap a shot.
But enough about the cake! We're talking about Derik here!

Thirty-one things I love about Derik (in no particular order):

1. He finds something to be happy about everyday
2. He is an amazing father
3. He is a wonderful, caring husband
4. He is hard working
5. He loves his family (including in-laws!!)
6. He is a spiritual giant
7. He is honest
8. He is loyal
9. He is compassionate
10. He has the very best laugh ever!
11. He is the perfect "movie pal", because he'll make you laugh at even the stupidest movies, and love them!
12. He deals with my oh-so-frequent "I-don't-feel-like-cooking-tonight" nights
13. He is a wonderful example
14. He just gets me (no small feat)
15. He believes that "run" and "fun" do not belong in the same sentence (but I think we both secretly dream that we could run a marathon)
16. He loves anything and everything outdoors
17. He has a tender spot for adoption, on every level
18. He continues to get his education, even though it's tremendously hard (with our crazy life) at times
19. He's constantly looking for ways to make my life easier
20. He is oh-so-handsome!
21. He honors his priesthood
22. He has an excellent singing voice (but he doesn't want anyone to know!)
23. He is an amazing, and I tell you, a.maz.in.g. cook. He can create gourmet meals out of practically nothing
24. He takes care of me
25. He takes care of Nate
26. He doesn't get mad at me when I snore
27. He accepts that I never iron his church shirts
28. He teases me, but also knows when to stop
29. He adores his parents
30. He loves to mow the lawn (this sounds cliche', but it's adorable how excited he gets to mow it!)
31. He is my very best friend

I love you, Derik! I hope your day is wonderful! I am so grateful for all that you do for our family. You mean the world to me. I love you! xxooxxoo

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Awesome cake!!!

Courtenay Beth said...

YAY! Happy Birthday Derik! I am quite impressed at your cake skills!

Amber said...

Happy Birthday Derik! Now, cake recipe please?