Friday, July 3, 2009

A True Friend



Last Friday, June 26th, 2009, we lost a very dear friend.

Craig McCuistion drowned near Alpine, Wyoming while rafting with his Young Men in the High Adventure scouting program. I am grateful that he was with those that he loved, doing what he loved - serving the youth. He loved the scouting program, and especially working with the youth.

This man is for whom we have named our son, Eli Craig.

I am honored to have been blessed to know such a wonderful man. He was quite literally, a friend to everyone he met. You couldn't dislike Craig. He would wrap you in his big bear-hug, and give a contagious laugh, or smile - you just couldn't resist loving him.

Craig and his wife, Cindy, and their daughter Brittney had 'adopted' us into their family. I grew up in Craig's ward in Burley, and when Derik & I moved here, we became fast friends. They have taken care of us, and have been our home-away-from-home for more than eight wonderful years now.

Craig is the example for each of us to follow in our lives. He lived and breathed service and charity. Craig emulated our Savior.

He will always be Grandpa Craig to my children.

I miss him terribly. June 26th was a very bitter-sweet day. Eli was born about four hours after Craig died. I know that Craig and Eli had a little talk as they passed one another, and I'm sure Craig told him to be a good boy, be an Eagle Scout, and to take care of Grandma Cindy & Auntie Brittney.

My life has been forever changed by this wonderful man.

He was a husband, father, brother, son, and uncle, but to everyone, a friend.

He was our family, and our Grandpa Craig.

We love you Craig.

Miss you too much for words.

xoxoxo

4 comments:

Deanna said...

I am so sorry for your loss! What a great namesake Eli has. Our prayers are with you and Craig's family.

Candise said...

Oh Derik and Amanda, we are just sick. I am so sorry about Craig's passing. I know how much you loved that family, and always will. Eli Craig will always be a sweet remembrance of a wonderful man in your life. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Cindy, and Brittney. And yes, I am sure Craig had a few things to say to Eli as they passed!

Amber said...

Pants, I'm sorry to hear of such a great loss. How interesting that it came in direct conjunction with Eli's birth. I was touched by your thoughts about that. I love you. Your family will be in my prayers.

The Kitchen-Cook Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss..I just cut one of my clints hair that was telling me about him..Her grandson was on the boat with him...She said it was a sad deal..Now you can look at the cute little one and know that he will have a wonderful life being named after someone that sounds so wonderful himself..I love you guys and we will keep you all so close to our hearts I am sure that its a hard time right now...