Sunday, January 4, 2009

White Christmas...and then, the E.R.

Derik and I were able to spend a full 10 days with Gramms/Gramps Barrus and Taylor! It was so wonderful to just be at home, and really have little or no cares for a few blissful days. We were blessed with a white Christmas (who wasn't?), and actually got snowed in!

At our house, Santa leaves his present unwrapped on the couch, along with a nice stocking full of goodies! Santa brought Nathan a Little People construction set, and he was so enthralled with it, he wanted absolutely nothing to do with any other presents. We had to open his Thomas -the-Train set just far enough that he could see what was inside: then he got excited and finished opening it! I think the whole excitement of presents was just a little overwhelming for him (my mom said I was the same way when I was a little girl).
So the rest of the week was uneventful, but absolutely relaxing and wonderful (thanks for the hospitality, Mom & Dad!). On New Year's Eve, I purchased some clearance Christmas fabric to make a garland for our tree next year. You simply cut the different fabrics into strips and tie them onto a long piece of twine. It's very rustic, and the one we have now is too short for our tree, so I wanted to make a new one. I was using a rotary cutter (for those of you that don't know, it looks like a pizza cutter, but the blade is much, much sharper), and apparently wasn't watching close enough, because I cut the tip of my finger off. Yep folks, you read that right. The inside corner of my left index finger is gone (which makes typing a real bugger). I cut through the nail, and actually cut the artery as well, hence a lot of blood, and then much freaking out on my part. My parents were actually walking out the door to go to Boise when I came running up the stairs in a panic. My dad rushed me to the emergency room (Derik was skiing in Sun Valley). It didn't really hurt (though it does now), I was mainly in shock from seeing so much blood. My dad gave me a priesthood blessing, which was a special treat - I haven't had a father's blessing since I got married. He blessed me with comfort and the ability to heal and be strong through this trial. It was wonderful.
So, the doctor numbed the finger (by far the most painful ordeal I've ever been through), and long story short, he cauterized the wound, but my artery refused to close. He spent forever trying to close it off, but my body wasn't cooperating. He wrapped it super tight, and sent me home, telling me to come back if it bled through the bandage, and he would try again. Luckily, it finally stopped bleeding on its own. Crazy, huh? On the upside: this whole adventure went on last year's insurance with just 7 short hours to spare, and I can't get it wet, so dish duty is on Derik! :) I would post a picture, but it's quite gruesome (if you're like my b-i-l, and are dying to see, give me your email address, and I'll share it with you privately). I even had to soak it last night, and seeing it still gives me anxiety. I sat and cried forever trying to get up the nerve to unwrap it and then soak it.

So, here's to a happy (and safer) New Year! I have made my resolutions (but won't be sharing them here now). I am excited for a new year, and a chance to be a better person. We are so blessed!

5 comments:

Chantri said...

It looks and sounds like Christmas went well for you guys this year! I love Nathan's train set. So fun. He's such a handsome little guy.
Oh my goodness about the finger. Holy cow! I really am dying to see it!! ha...I know if I do I was get a little queazy...but I still want to! I am sorry that it happened. Geez that's quite the way to get out of dish duty!!! Heal up fast!

Holly said...

Oh no. I'm so glad it wasn't too serious. No fun to have such a scare though! Glad you did have a great Christmas though! CUTE stockings!!

Holly said...

Oh no. I'm so glad it wasn't too serious. No fun to have such a scare though! Glad you did have a great Christmas though! CUTE stockings!!

Deanna said...

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful and eventful Christmas and New Years!!! Heal quickly!!!

Amber said...

Oh Pants! I want to give you a big hug and come take care of you while you heal! I would totally hold your hand (the non-hurt one) so you could be brave to soak it! Ouch! I hate that you live across the world from me. lame. By the way, little Nathan is getting... big. I bet Christmas was fun with him! Love you! Heal fast!