Sunday, February 28, 2016

I'm Back

It's been awhile.  I'm sorry about that.  I suppose that life got busier, and I had to choose between my family and blogging.  I'm glad to say that my family won.  But I've missed it.  Writing is my therapy.

Things have been busy.  Both of my boys are in school full-time now.  How did that happen?  I'm only working part-time, so that I am home when they are home.  It's been so nice to spend more time with them, instead of rushiing them through dinner, only to rush them to bedtime.  Nathan is in 4th grade, and Eli is in 1st grade now.   They keep me moving, for sure.

My in-laws were called to be Mission Presidents for the Washington, Vancouver Mission in 2012.  In January of this year, my father-in-law suffered a heart attack and needed triple bypass surgery.  Derik and each of his siblings made the trip to Vancouver to be with their parents.  I stayed behind with the boys, and I had every intention of impressing my husband with my hold-down-the-fort-skills.

The following story is one that I sent to Derik to share with his family and have a good laugh, on me.  By the time it was all over I couldn't stop laughing, and thought that perhaps my story would lighten the mood in Vancouver.  

   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  
      
     This week, I’ve tried to be successfully independent.  I’ve managed to keep the house clean for the most part, and the children are still alive.  My only problem has been the snow.  Just today, we received about 4 inches. I haven’t been successful in getting the snow blower started, so I used the shovel to clear the driveway. I'm here to tell you, that will never.happen.again.
     Tonight, I was able to get the snow blower going, thanks to Derik’s phone call.  Success! It started!  I proceed to clear the driveway, and think to myself, “This is amazing! Shoveling is for the birds!  I could do this all the time!”
I’m having so much fun, and I really want to impress Derik with my mad snow blowing skills.  I’m clearing the driveway, and start to get a little OCD about it.  So I move the garbage can, wanting to get every.square.inch. 
     Suddenly, the snow blower stops.  I pull it back, and discover I’ve sucked up the extension cord to the Christmas lights.  Blast!
     I look to see where to unplug the extension cord, only to discover that Derik has strung it along the rafters of the garage to a plug on the garage door lift.  
     I get the ladder and try to finagle it to open up, getting my thumb caught in the rungs as the ladder collapses, making me think I’d broken my thumb, but only managing a scrape.
     I can’t move the snow blower inside, because the cord is wrapped too tightly around the blade. Since I can’t hold my phone while removing said cord, I go find a headlamp.  Upon further inspection, I realize  I’m going to have to cut the cord.  After I make the necessary cut I move inside the garage and begin working, only to discover that the cat is thoroughly enjoying rubbing up against me.   As I  get a better look at the damage, I realize that the cord is wrapped around the blade about 6 times.
But what luck! I managed to remove it!  It’s about 18 inches long, and has seen better days. I proceed to finish clearing the driveway, and can't stop laughing at my antics. 
     I refuse to confess the number of times profanities were expressed.  It may or may not have been a lot. Okay, it was a lot.  But on the bright side, our Christmas lights won’t come on anymore, and the driveway is clean and clear of snow.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  

I hope to see you all again.  I'm sure I'll need therapy sooner than later.  

Hugs.

1 comment:

Nguyễn Ly said...

Great article. I read this article properly. This is one of the best posts. Thanks sharing this article
threadless
tshirt hell
Teefury uk
80s tees
Teepublic uk
Teespring
Spreadshirt coupon
Redbubble coupon