Thursday, March 6, 2008

I LOVE Adoption!!

Since my entire life has been completely absorbed in adoption (I'm adopted, for those of you that may not know, and Derik & I have adopted Nathan), I have decided that I'd like to be able to 'give something back', and I LOVE it! I am currently serving a volunteer position on the board for LDS Family Serives serving as Education chair. Part of this includes teaching couples that are applying for adoption, or who may be waiting to adopt. We cover all aspects of adoption from the process of paperwork to finalization, and everything in-between, including having birthparents come share their experiences, as well as adoptive parents, and the adoptees themselves. I have such a solemn respect for birthmothers. Their deep love and sacrifice is what makes all of this possible in the first place. Placing a baby for adoption is the most self-less act a person can show. I am blessed to have wonderful birthparents that loved me enough to understand what was best for me. I hope that wherever they are, they are happy and blessed for this great act of love, and I hope someday to be able to express my gratitude to them myself. I am grateful to my parents, and for the values they have taught me. I am grateful to be part of a trans-racial family! What a wonderful experience to have! I am especially grateful to Nathan's birthmother, Mandi. She is my hero. I love her so deeply, and want her to be so happy and find joy in life. She deserves all that is good and wonderful! Adoption is such a wonderful miracle! How lucky is a child that is loved by not one mother, but two?

8 comments:

Candise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candise said...

We are soooo grateful to have you teaching the classes. Your love of adoption makes an incredible difference in many lives. Give Nathan a kiss for us...we hope to see you sooner than later!

Gina Taylor said...

Wow! Amanda, that is so beautiful. What an amazing thing to put on your blog. You are an incredible person. Gina

Holly said...

You said it beautifully! It is so true. We are so lucky to have you as a part of FSA!

Jennifer said...

Amen sister! You said it beautifully. I am so glad you are teaching the classes. I loved it when I did it but I really am in a different phase of life right now with four little ones under tow.

Jennifer

Jessica said...

OK ~ I am crying! That was awesome. Didn't realize I was so emotional today. °Ü°
You are awesome.
Nathan is so blessed to have Derik and You and how blessed you two are to have each other.
Love you both.

absandhalsmom said...

I found your blog through Holly's. I too have 2 beautiful little girls that we adopted. You couldn't have written anything more perfect about adoption. It has been our greatest blessing. xoxo Shannon

brentandcambry said...

BIG props to birth moms & dads and their families! We, too, LOVE adoption. What a testimony-building journey. I'm so proud of you for educating people about the miracle of adoption. Testify!