Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Tribute

Today is Mother's Day. I have so many mothers that I need to pay tribute to. First of all, I want to thank my mother. Mom, you are so wonderful, and I am sorry for the millions of children in the world that weren't lucky enough to get you as their mother! I am so grateful for your kindness and love. I have learned so much about the kind of person that I should be and the kind of example I should show to my children as well. I am so grateful for all of the sacrifices that you made on my behalf. It has not gone unnoticed!


I also want to say thank you to my mother-in-law, Nancy. Thank you so much for your love and support and understanding of me. I appreciate all you do for our little family.


I also want to thank two very special people that are so dear to my heart. I want to thank Mandi, Nathan's birthmother. Without her, I would not have the beautiful privilege of being a mother myself. Nathan brings me such joy, and he is such an incredible person (already!). He will always know of your love for him, and will always know about you! Second, I want to thank Mandi's mother, Dawn. She has been an incredible strength to me these past months, and I am so grateful for her friendship. She is, simply put, so amazing. Mandi is so lucky to have a mom like you, Dawn!


And last but not least, I want to thank my birthmother. Wherever you are, know that I love and appreciate you, and honor you on this blessed day as well. Were it not for you, I would not have my mother, mother-in-law, Nathan's birthmother, or birth grandmother. You were instrumental in getting me to where I needed to be, and I am so very grateful for your amazing sacrifice. I think about you often, and hope that you are well and happy.


Now, onto other items of business. I feel like I have so much to cover!


Our house went up for sale on Thursday. We had been looking at a job offer in Burley, but decided against that route, and are planning on staying. After much thought and prayer, we are still going to sell our home. It is a bitter-sweet decision for us. We love our ward and friends and neighbors so much. It truly feels like home here. We plan to buy a townhouse, and will work hard for the next couple of years to pay off Derik's student loans quickly. Then we'll move back into a house, and keep the townhome as a rental. We feel very good about this decision, and that's where the bitter-sweet decision comes into play. We love where we are, but know where we need to be, as well. Sort of like being torn between two worlds; how do you choose, if they're both a good thing? We hope the house will sell quickly, but after doing a bunch of yard work yesterday, we are even more attached to our home! Argh! :D
Nathan is feeling so much better. It was a very hard week on him (and us). He didn't eat enough to keep a bird alive, but somehow, he made it. It's so nice to have our little man back in action!

Nathan was playing in the gutter yesterday while we were working in the yard. I started off telling him to stay out of the water, but after a few times of asking (and with Derik helping me understand that these are the things boys do), I realized that it really wasn't that big of a deal. He is a boy, after all! He would splash with his hands, and then he would touch his face and laugh!
This is a photo of the puddle-splash aftermath:
So I sat down on the sidewalk, and just watched and waited for a great photo moment. It didn't take long...he decided to lay in the gutter. I started laughing and he jumped up and laughed and ran into the back yard.
I had to chase him down, and finally caught up to him in the shed so I could get this priceless picture!
Derik worked so hard yesterday. He finished the steps to the deck we built last summer.
He loves working on anything that requires using his powertools, and loves to see his hard work pay off! I love to see his hard work pay off too, because the steps look amazing! (Once again, bitter-sweet moment...)

Derik, THANK YOU for all of your hard work, love and support and for making our home so wonderful! I am so happy when I'm with you! Thank you for being my best friend! I love you!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Amanda, I love the tributes that you gave all your mom's especially your birth mom and your adoptive mom. I am in the same boat and I appreciate the time that I have been a mother. So thanks for your thoughts. How special!
Your little guys is so cute. Let me know when you are moving.

J.R., Amber, & Co. said...

Oh you are so sweet! And you are such a great mom! Nathan is so lucky to have you! We love you and we miss you. I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day!

Holly said...

Amanda,
The more I get to know you the more I admire you! You did so great at the BM appreciation dinner! You said it perfectly! Happy Mother's Day. Good luck selling your house and keep us all updated, I for one am so glad you are't moving too far! :)

Gina Taylor said...

Your tribute to the mother's in your life is beautiful! Fun pictures of Nathan. What a boy!

Alynda said...

Your tribute was beautiful - to all of the mothers who have touched your life. Nathan's pic on the ladder is the best.