Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cityslicker




I'm driving for Sugar Beet Harvest in Burley this fall.
I want to begin by letting you know that I was raised in the country. My father is not a farmer, but while growing up, we raised horses, pigs, and chickens. I considered myself a country girl, and was proud of it. My parents raised me well...I'm not afraid to work hard, or get dirty int he process.
So imagine my surprise, when I come home and begin driving for harvest.
The truck I drive is a 10-wheeler. For those of you that don't know what that means, it's one of those large farm trucks that you might have seen one time or another in your life. It's one step down from a 16-wheeler (semi-truck). My truck also isn't an automatic...it is a 13-gear truck. Yikes. And the gears grind all. the. time. It literally has strengthened my right arm from shifting those gears.
Oh the joys of driving harvest.
The things I didn't think about beforehand (but still am glad I did it):
--Long hours. Like 14 hours a day. I'm not above this at all. Like I said, I was raised to work hard. But I had no idea that driving a truck would exhaust me so much! My body hurts a bunch, and I'm more tired than I've ever been in my life. Seriously folks. I even talked to a lady today at church that told me that driving harvest exhausts her more than just being pregnant! Wow!
--Dirt in my cleavage. Sheesh, I could harvest my own crop of sugar beets! You may ask, "How does it get in there anyway?" Burley is windy. Very windy. Nuff said.
--Dirt in my eyes. Scary when you're driving a 14,000+ pound truck!
--Filthy, dirty hands, hair, and clothes. On the upside, I don't have to do hair or makeup each morning. I only do my hair and makeup on Sunday. My hair is now unbelievably healthy!
My first few days of driving, I wondered how I could be so "in the dark" about farming and harvest season. But my dad's a lawyer...how would I know?
I just felt so out-of-place, right in my own backyard of where I grew up. Like I was raised in a big city or something. But everyday gets better, and I feel country-ish once again!
Being here makes me miss Burley too. There's nothing like the small-town feeling you get here. Everybody is your friend. Quite literally. I pass dozens and dozens of people multiple times each day...
A good rule of thumb if you're in Burley: always wave to everyone you see. Everyone. It doesn't matter that you saw them the last time you delivered beets from the field. You'll see them again in another hour, so wave, and be nice!
These are the little things about Burley that I miss so much.
It feels good to be home, even for a little while.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Ah, the old "dirt in the cleavage"... every job has it's downsides, eh!?!? You crack me up!