Thursday, December 6, 2007

What a week...

So this week has been...interesting. Monday night Nathan came down with a fever. Luckily, it was only a low-grade fever (99 degrees), but even with just that, you've got to feel lousy, right? He was a trooper. Just wanted to cuddle a bunch, and who am I to disagree?!?!? I love to cuddle! We thought he was better, because Wednesday he was back to terrorizing our Christmas tree! (Notice that there's no ornaments on the lower 2 feet of the tree!)

So now, he just has the cold (and we do too now!), and wants to cuddle constantly. Poor litte guy; I hate when I can't fix it right away. Well, his appetite hasn't been that wonderful, but I've discovered his passion for tomato soup, and it was the ONLY thing he would eat tonight. He's also extremely independent, and insisted on doing it himself. So, I went back to what I was doing, and let him eat. I noticed that he'd dropped his spoon in the soup, and had decided that the spoon was taking too long anyway, so he tried to take a drink instead...

And he came out looking like this... I think this shot is priceless (even though it's out of focus)!! I don't know how I managed to capture that expression on his face! I was laughing so hard at him; he thought he was pretty cool stuff! He also threw up this afternoon, and got hydrogen peroxide in his eye tonight. We called poison control, and did everything they said, and he's okay now, so no worries! (I was a basket-case...but we'll talk about that another time!) Poor little guy. He's had a rough day!

So I'm really excited tonight also, because I made our neighbor gifts! I made my crunchy granola recipe (So yummy! It's especially good in yogurt!):

Crunchy Granola (I usually quadruple this recipe)
2 c. old fashioned oats
¾ c. almonds (any variety)
½ c. sweetened coconut
½ c. cashews or sunflower seeds (i use ½ c. of both)
1/3 c. brown sugar
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ c. butter
4 tbsp. honey
1 c. dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 300. Mix first 7 ingredients in bowl. Melt butter with honey in saucepan on low heat. Pour over granola and toss well. Spread on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries. Mix to separate lumps. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool on pan before storing. Granola will be “chunky”; you can leave it this way, or break it up into smaller pieces. Store in airtight container.

And then I put them in little baggies inside these fun take-out boxes with a label that says, "Reindeer Take-Out"! I am so excited to deliver them tomorrow! The most exciting part of all of this (for me anyway), is that I actually thought of this entire thing on my own! I didn't copy anybody this year! I'm impressed with myself...I never come up with these kinds of things on my own!! Yay for Christmas!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Glad Nathan's feeling better... poor thing, too cute though! And what a cute idea for little gifts! I may have to use that next year. I think I'll at least bake the granola this year. :)