Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Holiday Update

This year we spent the 4th with Derik's family at the cabin. It was such a fun weekend, and it was Eli's first trip to the cabin!
Nathan was still adjusting to sharing my attention.
In fact, he ignored me for two straight days (never mind that he was almost completely okay with his Daddy). He wouldn't look at me, talk to me, or listen to me, or let me anywhere near him. I knew he was just 'punishing' me for having to share me with his little brother (whom he adores, by the way). But by day two, I had a little meltdown to Derik.
Bless Derik for always being so kind to me. He reassured me that all would be fine, and just keep doing everything that I was doing. Nate would adjust.


And what do you know?
The very next day, everything was back to normal (well, except for me learning how to balance two children - away from home). I was so grateful to have my happy boy back.
Eli was very popular at the cabin.
This is his cousin Isabelle.
She waited the whole weekend to get to hold Eli...and she finally got her chance on the last day!

Crew, Zac & Morgan with Eli

Aunt Sara & cousin Jett with Eli



Every year for the 4th of July, they have a boat parade on the lake prior to the fireworks and everybody decorates their boats like a float --ha! float...I'm hilarious. After the parade you can watch the fireworks from your boat. Since it was my first official week (being out of the house) with two kids, Derik and I opted to watch from the shoreline. Last year Nathan absolutely loved the fireworks. He would squeal with delight and raise his hands in excitement.

That all changed this year.
This is our happy boy before the fireworks started:
As soon as the show started, we realized that we were really (and I do mean really) close to the fireworks. (**Don't tell, but even I was a tiny bit nervous**). At first Nathan seemed okay (for the most part), but kept covering his ears because of the noise.
Derik and I decided to get out and watch from outside - it was a much better view!

Nate would have no part in it.

He would hover behind the dashboard and watch quietly.

I asked him a couple of times if he wanted to get out, which along with no answer, made him burrow further under the dash. He would glance up for about 2 seconds, and then hide again. Since the mosquitoes were crazy insane, and Nathan wasn't enjoying himself anyway, we decided to leave early.
It's a good thing we weren't on the boat.

Maybe better luck next year.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Looks like you guys really enjoyed yourself!!! I can't even tell you how many times I cried after having Taylor...I just didn't think I could do it. Tanner would bite and hit Taylor ALL THE TIME! It was very nerve-racking!

Glad Nathan is taking to Eli and adjusting!

Amber said...

We do the same thing every year! The kids have so much fun decorating the boats. We love the view of the fireworks from the water. That's funny that we are up there every year together. We really should meet up one of these days :) BTW, those 6 kids in Colorado have found a home all together here in Rigby. We are so exciting for the kids and the family adopting them!

amy and clint said...

Hey Amanda Congrats to you guys on the new addition! He is such a cutie and is so lucky to have such a wonderful mom! So my Nik & Nate wanted nothing to do with me when we first brought Noah home so I know how you feel on that one, why is it that it's still okay for them to love daddy just not mom? Anyways congratulations again! You guys are a beautiful family...I just wish you lived closer! Love ya!

Mandi said...

looks like a fun filled weedend! congrats on the new addition!