Thursday, January 28, 2010

Roasted Pepper-Stuffed Shells

So, I did it! 
I created my very own recipe! 
I have had these pasta shells in my pantry for a few weeks, and decided that today I would find a way to use them.  If my 'creation' happens to be something that you or somebody you know has already created, I apologize...great minds think alike!

What you'll need:

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove minced garlic (I was out today, so I used dried minced garlic)
Roasted Red Peppers, chopped (like the bottle you see below).  I used 3/4 of this bottle...but I would even use the entire bottle!
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork sausage
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 brick cream cheese, softened
1 box large pasta shells
Shredded cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella, cheddar & parmesan)
1 bottle spaghetti sauce of your choice (unless you're amazing and have homemade on hand-then use that!)

I discovered these little beauties at the grocery store and couldn't pass them up. They work for everything! So tasty! They're in the olives/pickles section.

**Heat oil in large saute pan.  Add onion and cook until clear.  Add garlic and red peppers and cook for about a minute.  Add hamburger and sausage and cook until brown.  Salt and pepper to taste.  When meat is completely cooked, drain the grease off.  Now add both cans of tomatoes and stir through.  Add cream cheese and encorporate into mixture.  In the meantime, cook your pasta shells for about 8 minues.  Don't over-cook them...they will be too soggy to work with and will fall apart...besides, you'll finish cooking them at the end anyway.  Run your noodles under cold water to stop the cooking process, and to make it a happier experience to handle them!  Pour a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  Stuff the shells with your sausage mixture, and place in the pan.  It was a tight fit, but I managed to fit them all.  Pour remaining spaghetti sauce on top, and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 350 for 30 minutes.  I covered mine with tin foil until the last five minutes to let the cheese bubble a little.
I am not a fan of cheese unless it's Parmesan, but the rest of my family loves it, so I just peel mine off
before I eat.  This picture is pre-cheesed.

And now, post-cheesed.

And now, ready to eat!  So yummy, and I really wouldn't mind using an entire bottle of peppers either!

Enjoy!

No comments: